- The fellow is obliged to initiate the research and fellowship within 12 months of the date of the award letter. The status of the fellows who cannot start their research due to health, natural disaster and similar force majeure and other reasons can be evaluated by GYK and the fellowship initiation period can be deferred up to 6 months at the most. A fellow who does not begin his/her research within 12 months without the decision of the GYK cannot claim any rights on the fellowship.
- The fellow is obliged to report all kinds of fellowship or financial support, which are received from another institution in Türkiye during the fellowship period to BİDEB within 15 days from the starting date of the support. If the fellow has some financial support received from another institution, the amount of the support within the scope of this programme might be separately determined by the GYK.
- The fellows have to maintain their research studies full-time during the fellowship period. The fellow is obliged to inform TÜBİTAK about any short or long-term visits away from the host institution and the duration of such visits within 10 days of the occurrence causing the time away. Duration of time away for less than 15 days per year shall not interrupt the fellowship payment. For any durations longer than 15 days GYK and the Presidency may consider temporary suspension, repeal or cancelation of the fellowship. In such a scenario, any stipend paid for this period will have to be returned to BİDEB by the fellow.
- Those who receive fellowship within the scope of this programme cannot receive project incentive bonus (PTI), fees, royalties, and similar financial support from other projects supported by TÜBİTAK at the same time.
- In the case of those who receive or are eligible to receive fellowship from other programmes of TÜBİTAK, this situation should be reported to TÜBİTAK in writing by the fellow. If otherwise determined, the fellow is obliged to pay back the entire fellowship amount to BİDEB along with the legal interest.
- It is essential for the fellows to complete his/her research successfully within the fellowship period assigned by TÜBİTAK and TWAS-UNESCO. If fellows, who are supported for less than the maximum support period wish to extend their fellowship, they should deliver the following documents to BİDEB 2 months before the end date of the fellowship period:
- Request Form for Fellowship Extension. The form must include the summary of the research carried out by the fellow during the period of support and justification for the fellowship extension. The form must be signed by both, the fellow and academic advisor(s) in Türkiye.
- A detailed research report on the studies that will be carried out within the requested period. This report should be prepared in the “Progress Report” format in the Application Forms available on the official programme website.
If the request for extension is deemed appropriate by GYK, it will be finalized with the approval of the TÜBİTAK Presidency and UNESCO-TWAS. The extended period cannot exceed fifty percent of the initially awarded support period of the fellowship.
Once the extension is approved, an official addendum to the TÜBİTAK-TWAS-UNESCO award letter will be sent to the fellow for signing. The signed addendum must be returned to BIDEB and UNESCO-TWAS.
- In case of non-compliance with the obligations, action is taken in accordance with the provisions of this Call Announcement and the Letter of Commitment.
Progress and Final Reports
- In relation to their research, the fellows should upload progress and final reports to the online monitoring system on the dates specified by TÜBİTAK. It is sufficient to upload the reports to the online monitoring system and it is not required to deliver them to BİDEB by post.
- A progress report is not requested from the fellows whose support periods are less than 10 months, and it is sufficient for them to upload their final reports to the online monitoring system on the dates specified by TÜBİTAK. Fellows whose support period is determined as 10 months and more are required to upload progress report(s) every 6 months following the start date of their research and a final report within 2 months of the end date of their research.
- Progress reports can be uploaded to the online monitoring system no more than 10 days after the submission dates specified by TÜBİTAK. In case of any delay of the submission of progress reports, the fellowship payments will not be paid and the fellow will be given an additional period of 2 months. The fellowship payments of the fellows who submit their progress reports within the given time period will continue where they left off. The support given to the fellows who do not submit their progress reports to BİDEB within 2 months without relying on force majeure reasons may be repealed or canceled with the decision of the Group Executive Committee (GYK) and the approval of the Presidency.
- If the final report is not uploaded to the online monitoring system within 2 months following the research end date, the fellow can request additional time with a reasoned and signed petition. If the request is considered appropriate by the GYK, additional time may be given for the completion of the report. The fellowship support of the fellow who does not submit their final reports to BİDEB in the additional time given, can be repealed or canceled by the GYK decision and the approval of the Presidency.
- Progress and final reports are evaluated by academic experts to be assigned by BİDEB. Reports that are not sufficient as a result of the evaluation are requested to be revised within 2 months. The support of the fellow who does not send the necessary revisions within the given time period or whose revised reports are not accepted can be repealed or canceled by the decision of the GYK and with the approval of the Presidency.
- TÜBİTAK and TWAS-UNESCO support must be stated in the publications within the scope of the programme and, if available, the publication should be uploaded to the online monitoring system in addition to the progress and final reports. It is mandatory to indicate TÜBİTAK logo in all kinds of announcements and publications (except for cases that the logo cannot be used due to the applicable legislation such as theses and articles). TÜBİTAK logo must be used in accordance with the forms and standards given on the TÜBİTAK website.
Change of Host Institution, Mentor or Research Title
- In case of a request to change the host institution/organization or the academic advisor(s) in Türkiye, the fellow should apply to BİDEB submitting the following documents:
- Request Form to Change of Host Institution/Academic Advisor(s). The fellow and the current, and the new academic advisor(s) in Türkiye must be signed the relevant parts of the this form.
- The acceptance letter from the highest authority of the new host university in which the research will be conducted.
If GYK decision approves the request, the transfer can proceed. Following the approval, the Letter of Commitment of the fellow will be renewed.
- In case the fellow requests to make changes on the research title without changing the research subject to which it is entitled to support, the fellow must apply to BİDEB along with a letter of justification signed by the fellow and the academic advisor(s) in Türkiye. With the GYK approval, the research title can be changed.
Suspension and Early Cessation
- In the event of a situation requiring the suspension of fellowship based on force majeure, the fellow and the academic advisor(s) in Türkiye must apply to BİDEB with a justification within 20 days from the date of the incident. Fellowship support can be suspended if GYK deems appropriate. The suspension period may be up to 12 months during the support period and no payment will be made to the fellow during this period. Upon request of the fellow and the academic advisor(s) in Türkiye regarding the resumption of the discontinued support, if deemed appropriate by the GYK, the fellowship support will recommence and the suspension period will be added to the fellowship period.
- In the event that no request is submitted by the fellow and the academic advisor(s) in Türkiye for the resumption of support within the suspension time, the support of the fellow can be repealed or canceled by the decision of the GYK and with the approval of the Presidency.
- If the fellow wants to leave the programme earlier than the end date of the fellowship without completing the research, the fellow and academic advisor(s) in Türkiye must apply to BİDEB with appropriate justification. In the case of abandonment of the fellowship without successful completion of the programme the following conditions will apply:
- The fellowship stipend will no longer be paid from the date of abandonment. If a payment was already made, the fellow must refund it.
- The final report that is prepared for research results and outputs obtained until the date the research was stopped must be uploaded to the online monitoring system within 2 months.
- The fellowship support will be repealed or canceled by the decision of the GYK and the approval of the Presidency.
- If the fellow completes the research earlier than the end date of the fellowship, the fellow and academic advisor(s) in Türkiye must apply to BİDEB with a justification. In case of early completion of the research the following applies:
- The monthly fellowship payments will not be paid from the date of completion. If a payment was already made, the fellow must refund.
- The support of the fellow is terminated with GYK decision and with the approval of the Presidency, based on the approval of the final report as a result of the monitoring evaluation by scientific experts.
- The fellow and the academic advisor(s) in Türkiye must comply with universal scientific research and scientific publishing rules during the conduct of the research. Where necessary, it is obligatory to obtain the Ethics Committee Approval document and the legal permission from the relevant institutions for the research to be done.
- In case of a violation of the above-mentioned rules, legal actions shall be carried out in accordance with the provisions of TÜBİTAK Directive ın Research and Publication Ethics Committee (AYEK) or Industrial Ethics Committee (ENDEK).
- TÜBİTAK will be responsible for a monthly allowance to cover accommodation/living expenses and medical facilities for minor ailments as available in Türkiye at amounts to be specified by TÜBİTAK.
- TWAS will cover one air ticket to reach Türkiye at the beginning of the fellowship and the return journey on completion of the fellowship, and visa related expenses incurred at the start of the programme.
- Candidates must organize their own comprehensive medical insurance for the period of their stay to meet any untoward incidents and major ailments before travelling to Türkiye.
- There is no retroactive payment to the fellows who choose to arrive to Türkiye by their own means before the date on the acceptance letter.