WHO CAN APPLY?
A. Principal Investigators (PI), Researchers (excluding foreign researchers) and Consultants:
- They must have a degree of doctorate / proficiency in art / specialty in medicine. In projects which are carried out in public or higher education institutions, the principal investigator (excluding retirees) must be permanent staff of the institution in question.
Researchers and consultants in project team:
- University / Training and Research Hospital staff should have a degree of doctorate / proficiency in art / specialty in medicine,
- Those working in a public institution or a private corporation should have a 4 year undergraduate degree at least.
Researchers and consultants in project team should be permanent staff of the contributory institution/organization where they are working.
Principal investigator and researchers (except for foreign researchers) should reside in Turkey. Non-Turkish citizens can be principal investigator or researcher in a project if they are working in an institution located in Turkey.
A person who has a contribution less than 10% of the project workload cannot be researcher in projects but can be consultant.
A consultant (*) is allowed if the project requires special expertise on a specific subject. The number of consultants in a project is limited to the number of specific subjects in the project. The role of consultant in the project should be explained in detail in the project proposal.
Retirees who do not work in any organization can take part in the project team as principal investigator, researcher or consultant, provided that they do not receive Project Incentive Bonus (PTI). (In accordance with paragraph 2 in Article 16 of The Law on the Establishment of The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey, only those who are permanent staff of public institutions or organizations can be paid PTI.) In order for the retirees to become principal investigator, it is necessary them to get approval on that they can take part in the project from the senior authority of the institution / organization where the project will be carried out.
B. Foreign Researchers
The requirements for foreign researchers (researchers who are not residing in Turkey) to take part in Project;
- In supported projects, foreign / Turkish researchers residing abroad may take part as researchers, provided that they work in the project for 30 days or more, including the road during each visit, with legal obligations belonging to the institution where the project is carried out,
- The foreign researcher who will take part in the project should be able to carry out and lead/guide a part of the project in which the competence of researchers in our country is limited, in the institutions of our country with the project team.
- The travel expenses of the researchers in question and 50% of the full-time monthly gross fees they receive abroad in the same period of time, for the time they took part in the Project, are covered as service cost from the project. If the 50% of the full-time monthly gross fee that the researcher receives abroad is less than the “2221-Konuk veya Akademik İzinli (Sabbatical) Bilim İnsanı Destekleme Programı” coordinated by BİDEB, the highest monthly fee provided under that program is used.
- These researchers can take part in more than one project supported by TÜBİTAK however they can get fee only from one project. The number of foreign researchers that can take part in a project is limited to one.
Undergraduate, graduate students (except for special students and prep students) and “Research Assistants” studying in higher education institutions in Turkey (in the TRNC for projects submitted from TRNC) and post-doc researchers can take part as scholar in projects.
Individuals who have already got a scholarship from BİDEB or other public institutions can get scholarship from the projects. However, the total amount of monthly scholarship from all sources (ARDEB, BİDEB, other public institutions) cannot exceed project monthly scholarship upper limits decided by Governing Board of TÜBİTAK for that year. It is not possible to be a scholar simultaneously in two different projects funded under any support program of TÜBİTAK.
The requirements to be a undergraduate scholar;
- Scholar should not work in any institution,
- Scholar should be 3rd or higher grade undergrad student in any higher education institution,
- Based on university grade system, cumulative grade point average (CGPA) (excluding prep) should be at least 2.50 over 4.00 or 65 over 100 or scholar should be in first 20% percentile in his/her department according to CGPA.
If the student fails the class, scholarship is stopped. At most, 4 undergrad scholars can take part in one project.
The requirements to be a post-doc researcher scholar;
- Scholar should have a PhD but not work in any institution/organization,
- Scholar should not have an academic title of associate professor or higher,
- There should not be over 7 years between the date of getting PhD and the last submission date of the relevant funding program.
The requirements for foreign graduate scholars;
- should be under 30 years old for MS students (**),
- should be under 35 years old for PhD students (**)
WHO CANNOT BE PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR?
The highest level managers of the public institutions/organizations, deputies and assistants of them (Rector, Vice Rector, Chief Physician, Deputy Chief Physician, Hospital Director, Minister, Deputy Minister, General Manager, Deputy General Manager, Provincial Director of National Education, etc.) cannot act as PI if they are still working in those positions during the application, but they can be researchers in 3 (***) projects at most.
TÜBİTAK ARDEB Governing Board and Advisory Board members cannot act as PI or consultant (****) if they are still working in those positions during the application, but they can be researchers in 3 (***) projects at most.
Conditions to Apply for ARDEB-BİDEB Programs simultaneously (Table)
Limits for taking part in projects (Table)
(*) Consultant: researcher or expert whose knowledge is used for a secondary subject of project, requiring special expertise.
(**) As of the first day of application, the specified ages should not be exceeded.
(***) International projects, 1000 and 1002 projects are not included in quota.
(****) TÜBİTAK Governing Board and Advisory Board members can take part in projects applied to the calls under EU Framework Programs (calls where joint evaluation is carried out by international independent reviewers) as PI, researcher or consultant.